Ask Howard Dvorkin

Get in Touch With Howard

It’s easy. Just send a quick email. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Howard Dvorkin in the News
Ask The Expert: Do I Have To Pay My Student Loans If I Flee To Canada?
Howard Was Asked:

I'm a big Bernie Sanders supporter, and I'm seriously thinking about moving to Canada if either Trump or Clinton becomes president. I have $22,000 in student loans. There's no way the U.S. government can come after me, is there?

  -  Dan  in  Rhode Island

Ask The Expert: Do I Have To Pay My Student Loans If I Flee To Canada?

If you’re asking whether the United States will send bounty hunters or Marines to drag you back across the border, the answer is no. However, you still owe that money.

I followed up with you and asked one crucial question: Did anyone co-sign for your loans? It turns out, your parents did on about half of what you still owe.

As has reported before

If they can’t get you, they’ll go after someone you love. If you have a co-signer on your loan, then they’re responsible for your loan — mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, whoever. And if you move back to this country, the debt is once again yours.

So if you succeed in emigrating to Canada — and as Forbes reported during the last presidential election, that isn’t easy or quick — I’d suggest you keep making your payments. Otherwise, you’ll be sticking your parents with the bill.

If you want to lower your student loan payments, read’s Do-It-Yourself Student Loan Consolidation Guide. Unfortunately, the DIY process is as time-consuming and complicated as filling out the paperwork to become a Canadian citizen. So you can also call at 1-800-810-0989 for a free consultation with one of our trained counselors. They’ll help you wherever you live.

Have a debt question?

Email your question to and Howard Dvorkin will review it. Dvorkin is a  CPA, chairman of, and author of two personal finance books, Credit Hell: How to Dig Yourself Out of Debt and Power Up: Taking Charge of Your Financial Destiny.